7 Reasons to Start Meditating Today
Life is stressful, when work , fatigue, poor diet, and excess caffeine and alcohol are added in the mix, things get even more stressful.
When you are stressed, tired – your body and your brain suffer. You may get a " cortisol ( stress ) belly and your decision making suffers.
Not only this but your blood pressure, sugar levels and anxiety levels soar.
All systems of your body get taxed from stress- The respiratory, circulatory, digestive and all systems start to feel the effects of stress.
One of the best ways to combat stress is to meditate. Meditation gives your brain and body a chance to rest and heal. Meditation is like a " time out " and a chance to rebuild and recharge.
Here are seven reasons to start meditating today :
- Improve Decision Making :Your brain bypasses its “higher function starts using more primitive stimulus/response pathways. you respond to daily demands without thinking; you make impulsive, shortsighted decisions. When the CEO goes “offline,” strong emotions, such as fear and anger, take over, adversely coloring your view of the world.
- Combat Addictive Tendencies- Meditation breaks addictive habits like drugs and alcohol by helping us detach the emotions associated with an action from the action itself. It also helps us stay in the present moment so we can let go of the past and the future, enjoy the present moment , which affects all aspects of our lives and prevents self abuse, it also improves communication with ourselves so we can understand our own thought processes and have more control over how we act.
- Lower Blood Pressure - Meditation activates the para - sympathetic nervous system- dilates the blood vessels and reduces stress hormones, such as adrenaline, noradrenaline, and cortisol, lowering your blood pressure. Psychological stress has been shown to increase activation of the sympathetic nervous system and the hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis. Meditaion decreases the release of adrenaline, noradrenaline, and cortisol, which lead to faster heart rate, and narrower arteries.
- Improve Your Sleep - Meditation creates a relazed state that enables your body to be in the Theta Brain Wave state easier and you will rest deeper .
- Reduce Fatigue - Mediation improves our breathing and resting states and slows down our respiration for longer, deeper breaths. An 8 week study conducted at the University Hospital Basel in Switzerland randomly assigned 150 patients to either take part in the 8 week study or continue on standard medical care. Those who performed the meditation reported lower levels of fatigue and depression for upwards of 6 months as opposed to those who received the standard medical treatments.
- Get a better mood – Mediation ' washes ' away stress and allows you to be happier and less tense. By relaxing the body and brain you remove toxic thoughts and enjoy a deep sense of peace and calm. It also Reduces anxiety and depression by enabling our body to balance its own neuro - chemical systems.
- Strenthen your immune system- Meditation increases antibodies and enhances brain-function, both will strengthen your immune system. Meditation increases electrical activity in the left side of your brain; the part that controls positive emotion and anxiety. This is also the part of your brain which acts as a command center for your immune system. Increased activity in this area of the brain helps make the immune system act faster and produce more defense cells.
Seven great reasons to start your meditation practice today ! Want to get started ? Sit or lie down comfortably. Close your eyes. Pick a word or phrase that you find uplifting – repeat this to yourself over and over again. Stay focused on this word or phrase. Breath it in. Do this for ten minutes twice a day to improve your health- physically and mentally. For information on Mediation workshops go to www.yogafit.com