Five Ways to Boost Your Metabolism
It's still early the New Year and many of us may have made a New Years Resolution related to health and wellness. While it's important to hit the gym, take up a new running program, or countless other fitness resolutions, there are things you can incorporate into your daily eating regime that will help you knock off and keep off those extra pounds.
Certain foods slow us down and make us groggy and tired like sugar, refined carbohydrates, wheat (if we are gluten intolerant), and alcohol. All of these slow our metabolism. There are also foods and drinks that will boost your metabolism naturally. So along with your workout program, you can boost your metabolism now with a few easy tips.
- Eat small frequent meals. Eating every three to four hours and including a small protein snack will keep the fires of your metabolism stoked and burning. I like to have an apple and some almonds in between meals or a small bit of protein powder with half a banana. A bit of hard cheese and a few carrots are also great snacks
- Take your meal portions to half. If you eat two or three meals a day please consider taking them to half the size you normally would. In thirty days you can train your stomach to want less and be satisfied with less.
- Add hot peppers – like cayenne, jalapenos, and serrano - which fire up your metabolic system. They will also make your food a lot tastier and you will naturally eat less. As a result, as you are not overeating to seek taste and pleasure. Enhancing flavor is a great way for you to get the most out of your meal. If your portions are small you want to make sure that you are getting the maximum flavor. A small tasty bite is a lot more enjoyable than mounds of food that lack in taste and palate excitement
- Drink more green tea. Green tea is unique in that it has the amino acid Theanine to balance out the caffeine and enhance mood, providing a relaxing and tranquil experience. Drinking green tea throughout the day will keep you happy and energized
- Add small doses of coffee, caffeine, and matcha - they all increase metabolism. Be moderate - overdoing certain stimulants like caffeine-laden energy drinks and too much coffee will burn out our adrenal glands.
Mindful eating combined with the addition of portion control and a few changes in your diet will yield positive results. Make 2021 your best year yet!