The Yogafit Athlete
Up Your Game With Sport-specific Poses To Build Strength, Flexibility, And Balance. I recently had one of my doctors who is a prominent Beverly Hills surgeon and avid golfer ask me if an " older man, who is inflexible " should start a yoga program. He meant himself. In his early 50's and hardly " older “ although he may well be inflexible. I told him the same thing I tell everyone-Yoga meets you where you live … that means that no matter your age, sport, flexibility level, Yoga will assist you.
Yoga is a process like any other process … healing, therapy or education. It gets better the more you do and you will see results. Yoga is beneficial for everyone. In particular athletes and people who are involved in any kind of sport or workout will benefit from the flexibility, strength and balance that yoga brings. Consistent body movements such as we do in any sport, create habitual tightness in our muscles, tendons and ligaments. Yoga is the perfect complement to release tension, tightness and stress from the body/mind. Yoga will up your game, whether it’s the game of life or football.
- I am an author, creator of fitness programing and international presenter.
- I teach yoga, fitness, wellness and meditation.
- I also am the founder of the largest yoga school in North America, YogaFit.
For the past twenty years, I have had the pleasure of teaching yoga to thousands of people around the world who teach to thousands of people, YogaFit's ripple effects have touched millions of lives on planet earth. YogaFit, born in the fitness industry in 1994 has changed the lives of millions and built the yoga market around the world. YogaFit is a conscious business dedicated to improving health, performance, and mental acuity; increasing fitness awareness and availability; giving back to the community; and expanding that community on global terms. YogaFit brings yoga to the masses. If we look at the staistics in the United States , only ten percent of the population, some 30 million people, belongs to a health club; only half of them, 15 million people, are doing yoga. This number is growing rapidly because yoga works. Most sports teams have caught on to the benefits of yoga, from high school teams to NFL professionals. Take this as a personal challenge to start your yoga practice. Yoga is a gift of the body and the mind, and my intent with YogaFit continues to lead the way toward fitness, conscious business, and karmic responsibility. My goal continues to spread the power of yoga.
I work with members of the NFL and referees and I have seen over the course of time the improvements that yoga brings to athletes.
The word yoga means to yoke – to bring together, union and the joining of opposing forces. What does that mean to an athlete or sports minded person ?
- It means you can balance your body from training, sports and exercise.
- It means you can train longer, harder and smarter.
- It means you will have greater longevity like the NFL officials I work with whose average age is 55.
- It means you will reduce injury, improve performance and increase mental focus and clarity
- It means developing true mastery as we learn to develop a strong “ winners coin“ of meditation practice and guided imagery
- Through breathing exercises you will learn to reduce stress and gain calm.
Some more benefits of Yoga For Athletes
- Balance and Core strength enhance speed and movement precision
- Mindful breath focus and control to transfer to the demands of officiating the game
- Useful meditation techniques for positive performance. (Focus and recovery)
- Increase range of motion and flexibility
- Increase joint durability and resilency
- Address muscular imbalances and promote strength and endurance
- Enhanced kinesthetic awareness to promote movement precision and proper accelerationg and deceleration movement patterns
- Manage back pain
- Pre and post game preparation and recovery
I teach athletes, business people, yoga teachers, fitness instructors, and members of the government. First and foremost YogaFit ‘s mission is SAFETY. In this book you will learn to practice your poses safely so that you can enjoy and long and healthy practice. You will be offered modifications on each pose so that no matter what your flexibility or injury, you can work with it and around it. You will learn YogaFit’s Safety Principles of Alignment ™ so that you can always practice safely. I always like to say “ any yoga practice is a good practice as long as its safe”.
Through learning and practicing meditation will you enjoy greater focus, improved performance and less stress around competing. When you incorporate visualization into your life you will create the winning results you desire. When you learn “transformational language “ you will start to communicate with yourself in a more positive way. Positive changes add up just like negative ones do, Yoga in all its many forms will create positive change. By adding even a handful of helpful poses you will truly up your game.
In this book we will learn breathing exercises, physical ( hatha ) yoga postures, meditation techniques, guided imagery options and custom routines for each athletic activity. You will learn mental as well as physical training, with many options to create your own personal plan for success. Whether you compete with others or against yourself, Yoga For Athletes will help you set goals, focus and achieve your own personal best. Discover your inner athlete, with intention and purpose to improve your mind/ body health. The most exciting benefit to putting Yoga For Athletes “into action “ is that your “ game” will improve.
Yoga For Athletes provides poses for every sport and routines that work.
When yoga and all its many benefits becomes part of your lifestyle, you life will change for the better, and so will your game.
Bring the strength and breathing power of yoga to the sports you love—and seriously up your game!
Yoga routines designed specifically for swimming, running, cycling, golf, tennis, baseball, football, volleyball, basketball, skiing, snowboarding, weight lifting, kickboxing, boxing, CrossFit, and more!
“Your body can either help you achieve your goals or get in the way of you living your best life. By practicing yoga and meditation, you can make your body work with you, not against you.”—Beth Shaw
Whether you’re a professional athlete, a weekend warrior, or a pick-up game enthusiast, yoga can dramatically affect your athletic performance and improve your alignment, balance, core stability, strength, flexibility, agility, endurance, lung capacity, and mobility. In this motivating and practical guide, celebrated fitness expert Beth Shaw provides short, sport-specific yoga routines designed to help counter tight muscles, overuse injuries, and musculature imbalances. By adding a quick yoga routine to any workout, you will increase your overall strength and health, and achieve your personal best.
Inside you’ll find
• fully illustrated, sport-specific yoga routines that engage the core, enhance your play, and reduce the risk of injury
• essential warm-up and cool-down movements to complement any athletic endeavor
• simple breathing exercises to steady your breath and calm your nerves during competition
• meditation techniques to help clear your mind and bring laser focus to your goals
• guided imagery and visualization exercises to improve performance
• strategies for coaching yourself and others